determine human destiny.” Out of this pagan atmosphere, these early believers had been saved. Paul here offers them some instructions on how to live in light of what Christ has done for them. The clear takeaway for me as I read these verses is that no one should ever require anything of you for salvation for Christ Jesus is sufficient. The gospel Paul proclaimed was one of salvation through faith in Christ alone–there is nothing else that you can or could do to qualify for it and certainly nothing you have to do outside of faith in Christ to keep it. Salvation is of the Lord.
Scripture Reading for Sunday, February 16, 2025
Psalms 16 (ESV)
A MIKTAM OF DAVID.
1 Preserve me, O God, for in you I take refuge.
2 I say to the LORD, “You are my Lord;
I have no good apart from you.”
3 As for the saints in the land, they are the excellent ones,
in whom is all my delight.
4 The sorrows of those who run after another god shall multiply;
their drink offerings of blood I will not pour out
or take their names on my lips.
5 The LORD is my chosen portion and my cup;
you hold my lot.
6 The lines have fallen for me in pleasant places;
indeed, I have a beautiful inheritance.
7 I bless the LORD who gives me counsel;
in the night also my heart instructs me.
8 I have set the LORD always before me;
because he is at my right hand, I shall not be shaken.
9 Therefore my heart is glad, and my whole being rejoices;
my flesh also dwells secure.
10 For you will not abandon my soul to Sheol,
or let your holy one see corruption.
11 You make known to me the path of life;
in your presence there is fullness of joy;
at your right hand are pleasures forevermore.
Reflections on Scripture Reference
This Sunday we will read Psalm 16 together as a church. I find in this psalm reflections of what Paul was communicating to the church at Colossae–”The Lord is my chosen portion and my cup” and “I have no good apart from you.” For David, there is nothing for him but God. I think on the sabbath festivals, ascetic worship of angels, and requirements being placed on the early believers in Colossae and I hear David say, “The sorrows of those who run after another god shall multiply; their drink offerings of blood I will not pour out or take their names on my lips” (v4). For those believers who attempted to earn merit with God through the earthly requirements being placed on them by their community, this would be nothing more than chasing after other gods.
David is clear. Only God can preserve him. Only in God does he take his refuge. David feels so strongly in this truth that he can find no good in life apart from God. He knows that God is his portion. When the people of Israel finally left the wilderness and arrived in the promised land, each tribe was given a portion of the land. This was not so for the Levites. Deuteronomy 18 explains it this way, “The Levitical priests, all the tribe of Levi, shall have no portion or inheritance with Israel. They shall eat the LORD’S food offerings as their inheritance. They shall have no inheritance among their brothers; the LORD is their inheritance, as he promised them” (vs 1-2). And so, throughout the Bible you can hear those who love God say that the Lord is their portion. For those of us in Christ, we have no need of anything else. For He is our portion.
And so, like David, we must place our faith in Jesus Christ. Not only will He provide, but He ever lives to intercede for us and His promises are sure. He saved a people for Himself and He will not lose a single one. In this we can be glad knowing that He is indeed our portion and our inheritance: “The lines have fallen for me in pleasant places; indeed, I have a beautiful inheritance.I bless the LORD who gives me counsel;
in the night also my heart instructs me. I have set the LORD always before me; because he is at my right hand, I shall not be shaken. Therefore my heart is glad, and my whole being rejoices; my flesh also dwells secure. (vs 6-9). There is nothing that we must do to make ourselves worthy of this salvation–no adherence to human rules and regulations, no keeping of the law, not observance of holidays. For Christ has done all that is necessary for us. Come to Him all you who are weary and heavy laden, and He will give you rest.
Because of who Christ is and what He has done for us at calvary, we should be sure that the only worship we give is reserved for Him alone. God made it clear in the commandments that we are to have no other gods before him. He repeatedly mocked the nations who did not believe in Him and even chastised His chosen people, Israel” when they rejected Him to pursue other gods made of stone or wood. For those who are being saved, our worship is reserved for Christ. For He alone is worthy to be praised–not angels and certainly not any other created thing.
Song Selection for Sunday, February 16, 2025
Come, Ye Sinners, Poor and Needy
In this hymn, Joseph Hart writes, “Let not conscience make you linger, nor of fitness fondly dream; all the fitness He requireth is to feel your need of Him.” This is the case for every true believer. There is nothing you can do or bring to salvation. You cannot do enough to be fit for it. All you can do is know that you are a sinner who needs a savior. Arise and go to Jesus!
How Firm a Foundation
Let us not be led astray from the cornerstone, the true foundation of our faith–the gospel of Christ. In this hymn we are reminded that all that we need has been given to us in Christ and revealed through His word. “What more can He say than to you He has said, to you who for refuge to Jesus has fled?”
Speak O Lord
How gracious that the God of glory has spoken and continues to speak through His son, Jesus Christ. His promises are sure and His truth never fails. “Speak O Lord and renew our minds; help us grasp the heights of your love for us–truths unchanged from the dawn of time that will echo down through eternity.” We may stand on His promises. Let us lift our voices in praise to Him and listen as He speaks grace and mercy through Jesus Christ.
Song for Consideration
Psalm 16 (Fullness of Joy) · Shane & Shane
Psalms, Vol. 2
℗ 2015 WellHouse Records
Lyrics
Preserve me, O God
For I find rest in You alone
I say to the Lord
"You are my Lord, I have no good
Apart from You"
All sons and daughters
Brothers, sisters my delight
Let's sing together
"No other gods shall satisfy"
God, You satisfy
In Your presence
There is fullness
Of joy, Joy
You give me counsel
My heart instructs me in the night
You are before me
Because You're for me
I'm alright
It'll be alright
In Your presence
There is fullness
Of joy
Of joy
At Your right hand
There are pleasures
Forevermore
Forevermore
My heart is glad and my soul rejoice
My flesh it dwells secure
'Cause You put on flesh
Lived a blameless life
My curse on the cross You bore
Then You ripped the doors off the city of death
And the chains fell to the floor
Now the serpent's crushed
It has been finished
You reign forevermore
You are my portion
My cup and You make my lot secure
The lines have fallen
For me in pleasant places
A beautiful inheritance
In Your presence
There is fullness
Of joy
Joy
At Your right hand
There are pleasures
Forevermore
Forevermore

No comments:
Post a Comment