Jesus Christ. Our reading this week comes from the book of Psalms, Psalm 130 in particular. The writer of that psalm echoes the heart's cry of any and every person who has come to faith in Christ: “Out of the depths I cry to you, O Lord! O Lord, hear my voice! Let your ears be attentive to my pleas for mercy!” The good news for sinners–He is merciful! “With Him is plentiful redemption.”
Scripture Reading for Sunday, February 9, 2025
Psalms 130 (ESV)
1 Out of the depths I cry to you, O LORD!
2 O Lord, hear my voice!
Let your ears be attentive
to the voice of my pleas for mercy!
3 If you, O LORD, should mark iniquities,
O Lord, who could stand?
4 But with you there is forgiveness,
that you may be feared.
5 I wait for the LORD, my soul waits,
and in his word I hope;
6 my soul waits for the Lord
more than watchmen for the morning,
more than watchmen for the morning.
7 O Israel, hope in the LORD!
For with the LORD there is steadfast love,
and with him is plentiful redemption.
8 And he will redeem Israel
from all his iniquities.
Reflections on Scripture Reference
True repentance can be seen in the heart and life of every believer. Until we know the depth of our own sin, we cannot understand our need for a savior. This is true for every person who knows Christ. We have at times–and sometimes even in the process of our sanctification–felt the need to cry out from the depths of our soul to the Lord for His mercy. As the truth of His word is studied and applied in our hearts and lives, we become even more familiar with the sinful flesh that we still inhabit in this world. His word is like a double edged sword. It provides a clear picture of His perfect holiness and reveals just how desperately we need Christ. “Let your ears be attentive to the voice of my pleas for mercy!”, cried the psalmist. And so do we.
God is so holy and perfect that He cannot accept sin. It must be punished. And here we see the reality of our situation before Christ: “If you, O LORD, should mark iniquities, O Lord, who could stand?”. If we are being honest, not one of us could stand. But the psalmist does not stop there. If he had, we would be without any hope. He answers his own question in this way: “But with you there is forgiveness, that you may be feared.” Is there any greater truth in all of scripture? That with God there is forgiveness. This is the basis of our hope. That God so loved the world that He sent His only son to die in our place that we might be forgiven. Based on this truth, the psalmist immediately proclaims, “I wait for the LORD, my soul waits, and in his word I hope…”.
We are encouraged to hope in the Lord. Why? “For with the LORD there is steadfast love, and with him is plentiful redemption.” Are you struggling with sin, dear Christian? The Bible tells us that if we confess our sin, He is faithful to forgive our sin. We know it is true because Christ has paid the penalty of sin and satisfied God’s wrath for His people. Are you in need of a savior today sinner? Today is the day of salvation! Repent and believe in Christ. For with the Lord there is steadfast love, and with Him is plentiful redemption!
Song Selection for Sunday, February 9, 2025
Jesus Paid it All
“For nothing good have I whereby Thy grace to claim; I’ll wash my garments white in the blood of Calvary’s lamb.” This is the third verse of Jesus Paid it All. We had nothing to offer, He gave us everything. All to Him I owe.
I will Sing of My Redeemer
Who can resist the urge to praise the one who paid such a great price for their salvation? “Sing, O sing of my redeemer, with his blood He purchased me. On the cross, He sealed my pardon, paid the debt and made me free.” With Him is plentiful redemption!
Before the Throne of God Above
Our hope is indeed in our redeemer, Jesus Christ. “My name is graven on His hands, my name is written on His heart. I know that while in heaven he stands no tongue can bid me thence depart.”
Song for Consideration
Before the Throne of God Above
Original words by Charitie Lees Bancroft (1841-1892), music and alt. words by Vikki Cook. © 1997 Sovereign Grace Worship/ASCAP (adm. by Integrity Music). Sovereign Grace Music, a division of Sovereign Grace Churches. All rights reserved.
Lyrics
VERSE 1
Before the throne of God above
I have a strong and perfect plea
A great High Priest whose name is love
Who ever lives and pleads for me
My name is graven on His hands
My name is written on His heart
I know that while in heav’n He stands
No tongue can bid me thence depart
No tongue can bid me thence depart
VERSE 2
When Satan tempts me to despair
And tells me of the guilt within
Upward I look and see Him there
Who made an end to all my sin
Because the sinless Savior died
My sinful soul is counted free
For God the Just is satisfied
To look on Him and pardon me
To look on Him and pardon me
VERSE 3
Behold Him there, the risen Lamb
My perfect, spotless Righteousness
The great unchangeable I AM
The King of glory and of grace
One with Himself, I cannot die
My soul is purchased by His blood
My life is hid with Christ on high
With Christ my Savior and my God
With Christ my Savior and my God

No comments:
Post a Comment