Search This Blog

Tuesday, March 15, 2016

Examining Our Inheritance

In my reading of Our Great God and Saviour, by Eric J. Alexander, it was as if I, like Moses, had been placed in the cleft of the rock and had seen the LORD's goodness pass before me!  It is too wonderful an experience for a sinful man like me!  Mr. Alexander uses the Holy Scriptures to expound and proclaim the greatness of God in 1)His Essence/Being/Character, 2)His Great Salvation (from regeneration to glorification), and 3)in His Church.  The LORD is magnified throughout the entire book.   His purpose is to help the reader realize how rich we are in having God as our inheritance.  There is a great quote at the beginning of the book which still has me thinking.  The quote is from a Puritan, Steven Charnock, written over three hundred years ago, which states:

"A mere contemplation of the divine excellences may afford much pleasure to any man who loves to exercise reason.  But if that be so, what incomparable sweetness ought believers to find in viewing and considering now these perfections which they will more fully behold hereafter, seeing what manner of God - in whom they have a covenant interest - how wise and powerful, how great, good and holy he is.  Indeed, if rich men delight to sum up their vast revenues, to read over their rentals, to look upon their hoards, how much more should the people of God please themselves in seeing how rich they are in having an immensely full and all-sufficient God as their inheritance."  - Stephen Charnock, The Attributes of God (Grand Rapids: Baker Book House, reprint 1979), p. 19.



Amazing quote which magnifies and gives glory to God, but it also convicts me of either how lazy I have been or how much I just didn't care to learn about God over the last 30+ years.   Why have I waited so long?  Why did I not want to spend my time in learning more about Him, from Whom and through Whom, and to Whom are all things?

Thus says the LORD, "Let not a wise man boast of his wisdom, and let not the mighty man boast of his might, let not a rich man boast in his riches; but let him who boasts boast of this, that he understands and knows Me, that I am the LORD who exercises lovingkindness, justice and righteousness on earth; for I delight in these things," declares the LORD.  Jeremiah 9:23-24

Thanks be to God for His mercy,  patience and lovingkindness.  May we spend our days seeking to understand and know Him!  Let us glory and rejoice in our great inheritance!