Search This Blog

Tuesday, June 24, 2008

Thoughts on Carlin's Passing

I had my own thoughts about the death of comedian George Carlin yesterday, but reading this post by Dan Phillips over at the Pyromaniacs blog made me want to put it in writing.

Needless to say, if you are older than 20 or so, you know who George Carlin is. If you have ever listened to any of his material, then you know that he liked to observe the world. Unfortunately, his observations were all too often filled with profanity and the obscenely vulgar. I know. I know. We live in a world that says, "so what." We live in a world that would rather hear the F bomb dropped into a conversation. Somehow it seems funnier that way. Sadly, in the wake of Tim Russert's death and beatification in the media, it seems that Carlin is next. This man that saw little good in the world and always the bad was touted on every news channel I came across--from ABC to ESPN. I couldn't even find out who won the CWS game last night without first hearing what an impact Carlin had on sports. Really? What did this man do to earn so noble a gesture upon his death? I can think of very little. What does this say about what we have become as a society? I digress.


No comments: