Search This Blog

Wednesday, February 17, 2016

God's Word - Revealing Himself to us

It has been a while since my last post - just getting into my busy time of year.  In my vocation as a bean counter, the start of a new year means we have to quickly close-out the prior year, prepare for and endure the financial audit (although for some strange reason I enjoy it - it is like my performance review), do some tax work (not my favorite), develop forecasts for the new year - I usually rub my bald head to get my predictions - just kidding.  In my vocation as a husband and father, it is the heart of cheerleading season.  Who knew there were cheerleading seasons? Many of these cheer competitions are out of town so there is travel involved.  It has taken years but I have learned to appreciate the sport - (my daughters would be proud that I called it a sport). I am the designated driver and photographer.  Oh, and my wife's birthday is always during this time for some reason (I have forgotten it many times).

I love God's word!  It is His revelation of Himself to us.  I am convinced that we could spend eternity searching the scriptures to learn about Him and never scratch the surface!  I am also convinced that we need to learn about Him!  I am not saying we could ever know everything about Him - He is infinite - we are not.  He is eternal.  But as Deuteronomy 29:29 says, "The secret things belong to the LORD our God, but the things revealed belong to us and to our sons forever, that we may observe all the words of this law."


What He has revealed about Himself is certainly for our benefit but ultimately for His glory.  The Triune God (Father-Son-Holy Spirit) has always been/is/always will be perfect and complete in Himself. He is not lacking anything.  He does not need anything.  He is worthy of all honor, praise and glory simply for who He is!  Not to mention all He has done!  He is Holy! Holy! Holy!  It is hard for me explain, because when I speak of His character or attributes, it is like I elevate one at the expense of another.  But that isn't how it really is with Him - He is all of His attributes and character perfectly all of the time.  He never changes - Hebrews 1:12.  There is a poem I have heard that describes Him (I do not know the author - but it is based on this scripture):

"Yesterday, today and forever, Jesus is the same - and all may change, but Jesus never - glory to His name!"

This leads me to worship Him!  This builds and strenghtens my faith in Him!   And that is why we should constantly plunge into the infinite depths of the riches both of the wisdom and knowledge of God! (Rom. 11:33)

I have spent way to many years thinking of myself instead of learning and meditating on Him.  I hope to use the next number of posts to examine the character/attributes of our Great God and Savior.

Until next time, I'll leave us with the lyric's of a hymn by Daniel Webster Whittle: 


I know not why God’s wondrous grace
To me He hath made known,
Nor why, unworthy, Christ in love
Redeemed me for His own.
But “I know Whom I have believed
And am persuaded that He is able
To keep that which I’ve committed
Unto Him against that day.”
I know not how this saving faith
To me He did impart,
Nor how believing in His word
Wrought peace within my heart.
I know not how the Spirit moves,
Convincing men of sin,
Revealing Jesus through the Word,
Creating faith in Him.
I know not what of good or ill
May be reserved for me,
Of weary ways or golden days,
Before His face I see.
I know not when my Lord may come,
At night or noon-day fair,
Nor if I’ll walk the vale with Him,
Or “meet Him in the air.”

1 comment:

Jared Wall said...

Excellent post. I am reviving this blog with you. Start posting here again. I will keep it fresh with some images. I will also begin posting when I have a chance. Thanks for sharing.