Search This Blog

Tuesday, January 13, 2009

The Best Commentary

In starting this new year, I resolved to do something that I have never done before - to read through the Bible in a year. The particular Bible reading plan I'm using came from the website - www.apuritansmind.com. It's basically 6 chapters a day (3 from the Old Testament, 3 from the New Testament). This format sort of leads me to the main thought I want to express, which is: the Bible is the best commentary on itself. Many times I've found myself coming across a difficult passage and wondering what it means, only to later see this same scripture expounded or explained in the most helpful way. For example, in Genesis, the Lord promises Abraham that "In your seed all the nations of the earth shall be blessed". In Galatians, Paul explains this verse in 2 places. One in particular, Paul says that "seed" refers to one, that is, Christ. This helps me in my understanding when I go back and read the Genesis account of God's promise to Abraham. While some commentaries are good and they do have their uses, I believe the Bible is the best commentary on itself.

1 comment:

Jared said...

I agree. But how many actually bother to read the old testament? Any commentary should also point right back to the Word. Nice observation. I'll have to look at that plan.